If you own a Garmin mapset that includes DEM data, like their 1:24K topographic mapsets or Topo US 2008, you might want to download and take a look at Garmin’s new free 3D map viewer and GPS data editor, BaseCamp. Here’s a screenshot using Topo US 2008 data:
On the plus side:
- 2D/3D/Overview map views
- Elevation profiles along a track
- Photo geotagging using a GPS track
- Some advanced editing features, like a track split function and eraser
On the down side:
- Program is slooooow, even on my fairly recent quad-core system
- Default 3D view is too subtle, even with decent topography; go to the options section and change the elevation exaggeration to something more useable, like 200%.
It’s probably worth downloading if you have a compatible mapset, but I don’t find the new features compelling enough to make me switch over from Garmin’s older Mapsource program to BaseCamp, especially given how sluggish the latter is. Hopefully future versions will be snappier, and add more features.